Thursday 17 September 2015

Inspiring young players

By Balfour Year 6 Tag Rugby Squad 2015 - 2016

As part of our Rugby World Cup 2015 Project we were lucky enough to be able to meet and interview Kieron Dawson, who played for Ireland in Rugby World Cup 1999.

Year 6 pupil Fin explained: “It was really interesting meeting Kieron. He told us all about his time playing Rugby. He also told us about how he prepares for a big Rugby match and what it felt like to play for your country.”

Balfour pupils with Kieron Dawson
What was it like representing your country at a Rugby World Cup?

I think it was extra special for us because my Rugby World Cup was 1999 and Ireland were based in Ireland and everywhere we went we played sports. We did a lot of school visits in preparation and the whole country was buzzing a little bit like this year, I suppose with the Tournament being based in England, so I’m sure they’ll experience the same thing. So yes, very proud, very excited, and a little bit surreal if I’m quite honest because in 1999 Rugby wasn’t long into becoming a professional sport so it felt a bit strange.

Who was your Rugby hero when you were young?

My Rugby hero was actually a guy called Ollie Campbell, who played No. 10 for Ireland, which was the position I probably wanted to play, but my age and shape didn’t really suit it. So when I was growing up Ollie Campbell because he kicked all the goals and made it all happen on the pitch, a bit like Jonny Wilkinson, and so he was my hero player.

What position did you play?

I played Open Side Flanker, which is the best position, so No. 7 in the scrum, who runs around making tackles all day, which is why I look like I do nowadays!

What advice would you give to us, as young rugby players before a big match?

I’d get lots of sleep, drink lots of water. Just prepare yourself well for the game. Enjoy it and try to learn from every game. Something will happen in every match that you can learn from. Most important thing is to enjoy it!

Big boots...and shirts...to fill
What was your biggest game?

My first game against the All Blacks. So I was 21 standing in the middle of Lansdowne Road, having dreamt about it all of my life, facing the Kaka for the first time on my first cap….That was pretty special!

Balfour Primary School has been following the preparations for the matches in Brighton & Hove. The pupils have been part of this blog's writing team. Last week Balfour Rugby coach Lee Stevenson represented the school at the Japan Welcome Ceremony. Mr Stevenson presented a card to the Japanese team from the young players at Balfour who are inspired by all those competing in the Tournament and who aim to follow in their footsteps in the years ahead. 

Tiggy from Balfour Year 6 said: "I'm really excited about the start of Rugby World Cup 2015. I can't believe that I am going to watch one of the matches at the Brighton Community Stadium - USA vs Samoa. It will amazing. We've also started training at school for the new Balfour Primary School 6 Tag Rugby squad - I hope we can be as good as the teams playing in the Tournament."

Mr Stevenson at the Japan Welcome Ceremony
with the card from his Tag Rugby team
which he presented to the Japan Team Manager
The 2015 - 2016 Balfour Year 6 Tag Rugby Squad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.